The commanding officers of two Naval destroyers that collided with commercial vessels in the western Pacific last year will face court-martial charges, the Navy said.
All 50 passengers escaped a fast-moving fire on a shuttle headed for a casino boat, but about a dozen were treated for minor concerns, the police said.
The destroyer, the first to fire a shot “in anger” in Pearl Harbor at the start of the American involvement in World War II, was photographed this month at the bottom of the waters off the Philippines, where it sank in 1944.
The Navy’s top admiral ordered new procedures for vessel certification and more training for ship crews after a series of accidents this year in the western Pacific.
Over five months, they say, they faced vicious sharks, fierce weather and an engine failure. But experts suggest there may be reason to doubt parts of their story.
Crew and basic navigational errors were to blame for two collisions between Navy ships and commercial vessels in the Western Pacific, the Navy’s top officer said Wednesday.